Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tuesday Tidbit: Homemade Pancakes Whenever You Want

We thoroughly enjoy pancakes inside the Yellow Hat.  And we particularly like the homemade variety.  I grew up with  pancakes from a box.  People, there is a night and day difference.  I have tried to convince my friend Shelley of that for years, and when we stayed at her place last summer, I made a batch {because it was my birthday and we always have pancakes for birthdays}.  She is now a believer (you're welcome, Shell). They're easy to throw together, they are yummy, and they are pretty tasty reheated, too!

Today was a pancake morning for us; we have them at least once a week.



I usually double my recipe and have some leftovers.  When they've cooled down some, I simply layer them between sheets of wax paper and put them in a freezer bag.  {excuse the poor phone photos}



After a while, I have enough to pull out for a quick breakfast on  Sunday morning before church or on another day when I just don't want to cook but want something beside cereal.  I usually defrost them the night before in the refrigerator and warm them up by the plateful in the microwave on a low heat.



You can also do what Shelley does.  She makes up a batch, freezes them, and then pulls out one or two to pop in the toaster for her kids before school.


Here's our pancake recipe (found in the Better Homes and Garden cookbook):

1 cup all-purpose flour (I like to substitute 1/4 c of wheat flour per cup)
2 t baking powder
1 T sugar
1/4 t salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
2 T oil
{We also like to add a mashed up banana and vanilla; you can also add food coloring or other fruits and spices- it's a pretty flexible recipe.}

Sift dry ingredients together.  Whisk liquids together, and then add to dry mixture.  Stir until just combined.  Pour about 1/4 c onto griddle. { If you like chocolate chips, this would be the time to sprinkle a few minis on top of the wet batter.}  When bubbles begin to pop and edges seem set, flip and finish cooking.   Enjoy!!

Out of curiosity- are you a maple syrup purist 
or whatever you pull off the shelves?

 

2 comments:

  1. Must be homemade pancakes (keep a container of the dry ingredients already mixed, it makes it as simple as boxed mix), and I wont touch syrup unless its the real stuff. I'm a snob. My husband however, is not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a purist at all. At this is perfect timing. We are going to IHOP tomorrow to celebrate my 10th anniversary at work. The firm would totally have sprung for something nicer/more pricey, but it's my fave! :)

    ReplyDelete